Welcome to the 421st edition of Android Apps Weekly. Here are the big headlines from last week:
- There are some decent new shows coming out on the streaming service. Some of the shows include Vikings: Valhalla, Cat Burglar, Race: Bubba Wallace, and several others. They are out on various streaming services and you can hit the link to learn more about them and where they are streamed.
- Google turned off Lite Mode on the Android version of Chrome. This feature originally helped people save data while browsing the web and was inspired by a similar feature from the Opera Browser. Google says that mobile data is now cheaper and that Chrome itself already has a lot of data-saving benefits.
- The Wordle hype is starting to die down and that means people are already looking for alternatives. We have a pretty good list of alternatives that you can try. The focus for the list is finding Wordle alternatives in multiple languages along with more challenging versions with longer words. Hit the link to learn more.
- In our most recent reader poll, you told us that most of you don’t actually use Android Live Caption, but that comes pretty close. About 56% of readers say they don’t use it while another 44% say they do or would like to but don’t have a phone that has the feature. Considering mostly for accessibility, it’s actually better than we thought.
- Samsung Good Lock released its 2022 lineup of modules. No dramatic changes this year. However, there’s better support for foldable and some additional effects and feature improvements across the board. We’ll follow up soon with a proper review.
My Darkest Moment
My Darkest Moment is a narrative style adventure game. The mechanics aren’t too difficult, although there isn’t much of a tutorial so you’ll have to figure it out yourself. For the most part, you feel like you’re playing mini-games that transition into more of a story. The story is subjective. It has to do with feelings of depression so some people may find it more attractive than others. It’s a fairly short game, but it’s also only $0.99 so we don’t see any issues with it.
FRY is an app for first responders to emergencies. It helps deal with the mental trauma of being first in a scene where some really messed up things happen. The app includes things like breathing exercises, relaxation techniques, positive affirmation techniques, and you can even be part of a live streaming class. It’s not available in the US at the time of writing so I can’t get details on how much it will cost. Hopefully the price is not too expensive.
Cat Island Secrets
Price: Free to play
The Secret of Cat Island is a simulation game similar to FarmVille. The player begins the game stranded on a deserted island after a flash flood. From there, they began to rebuild their lives. You can grow plants, restore old buildings, clean up the surrounding landscape and make it comfortable. You gain additional access to the island as you rank up, repair old bridges, and clear rooms. The progression feels pretty good although we expect it to slow down the longer you play.
Deep L translation
DeepL Translate is a new competitor to Google Translate and Microsoft Translate. It has a minimal UI so it’s not that difficult to use. It quickly translates freely between 26 languages. You can look at Google Play listings for a list of all supported languages. The app also offers fast language detection, fast translation and much more. It costs nothing and has no ads. It was also a popular browser extension for a long time before becoming an Android app.
Final Fantasy VI Remastered
Final Fantasy VI Remaster is the final Final Fantasy launched from Square Enix’s Pixel Remaster initiative. It features updated graphics, rearranged soundtrack, and improved touch controls from the previous mobile release of Final Fantasy VI. Otherwise it’s a faithful recreation of the original game. All elements of the story are the same as characters, movements, locations and all that.
The only disappointing part is that there is no gamepad support at the time of writing. That seems to be a consistent complaint among Pixel Remasters so hopefully, Square Enix adds it sooner rather than later. The price is $17.99. If it’s too rich for your blood, it’s best to wait for the sale to pick it up.
If we missed any major Android app or game news, updates or releases, let us know in the comments.
Thank you for reading. Try this too: